Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Perfect Belgian Waffles


My friend came to visit and bought us some strawberries from farmer's market and all of a sudden, I HAD to make waffles for breakfast. Waffles are one of our favorites - my girls ask for frozen waffles if I'm not making fresh and I have started limiting the number of times a week they can eat them (not enough protein before school!).

My favorite waffle recipe is this one where you use yeast and let them rise overnight.  They're easy and delicious but the one problem is you have to plan ahead.  I use waffle mixes on occasion (to make these or the TJs buttermilk one isn't bad) but the other day I was out of that too. 

I'm glad I tried something new - the texture of these was fantastic. Stiffly beating egg whites seems like a pain and an extra step, but it's worth it.  My hand blender with the whisk attachment is awesome and does this really quickly (as would a Kitchen Aid mixer with a whisk attachment).   I didn't miss the sugar (none in this recipe), especially with the strawberries on top, but I'd add a 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla the next time.

Light and Crispy Belgian Waffles (made 8 8in round waffles)

egg yolks
2 cups milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
stiffly beaten egg whites

Preheat waffle maker. Put all ingredients except egg whites in large bowl. Stir the mixture until smooth. Gently fold in beaten egg whites. Pour 1/2 cup batter over grids. Close waffle maker, bake until steam no longer escapes, about 3-5 minutes. Repeat. Serve hot with your favorite topping. 

4 comments:

  1. I am making these on Easter morning! My current waffle recipe, while tasty, doesn't produce the light fluffy texture I'm after. I'm so excited you posted this just in time. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole - let me know what you think! You're doing good . . . I haven't even thought about food for the weekend yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I didn't end up making these on Easter (the kids insisted on pancakes), but I made them this AM and these are perfect! I am throwing away my old recipe without question. I did make a couple changes--almond milk for the milk, butter for the oil, added 1 1/2 Tbsp sucanat (equivalent of one Tbsp white sugar), and 1 tsp vanilla. But the lightness with the beaten egg whites, and the exterior crispness made these spectacular.

    ReplyDelete