Friday, March 2, 2012

Spicy Baked Salmon



I know that eating fish is healthy.  I know how to cook a few different preparations of fish.  I even like different kinds of fish (a miracle you will appreciate if you knew me as a kid).  But, I rarely think of it and make it for my family.  Good thing I have a husband who reminds me . . . and usually barbecues it up.  Last week I tried to recreate a honey/tabasco salmon that a friend made for me once and the result was a big hit.  The top crust was a little spicy for the girls but they liked the salmon a lot.  It was a good combination of flavors and easy to cook in the oven.

Spicy Baked Salmon (2 servings)

appx 1 lb salmon fillets
1.5 T freshly squeezed lime juice
1 T orange juice
1 T honey
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. chili powder
dash of salt, few grinds of pepper
red pepper flakes and tabasco - amount depending on how spicy you like things

In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients (except for the salmon) until the honey is dissolved.  Place the salmon in a shallow baking dish lined with foil.  Spray the foil with a little olive oil spray or cooking spray.  If your salmon has skin, put the skin side down.

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Brush or drizzle half of the honey mixture over the salmon.  Bake for about 6 minutes and then brush or drizzle the rest of the honey mixture over it.  Bake for another 5-10 minutes (depending on the thickness of your salmon) or until the middle of the salmon is just opaque and the top flakes with a fork.

1 comment:

  1. I love salmon. It's one of my favorites, and this sounds good.

    ReplyDelete