Monday, March 26, 2012

Spring is here!

I'm excited for spring but not very excited that today is my last day of spring break.  Off to work with a new (and challenging) schedule tomorrow.  So, here are some spring things to share:

George, our pet tortoise, has emerged from hibernation much to the delight of the girls.  Little gets up in the morning and says "Turtle.  George.  Outside.  Turtle.  George.  Outside."  She loves looking for him but is scared to touch him.

We went to a park that we like last week and walked on a little trail.  It's a mini hike, perfect for little girls, and we saw 3 ducks and 2 lizards.  After the walk, I showed Big how to make clover necklaces.  Reminded me of sitting outside of the old Altadena church with Shayna and Sarah on Sunday afternoons.


While I was on spring break, I made one of my husband's favorite dinners (the Green Soup) and what I thought was Big's favorite dinner (spaghetti and meatballs).  She promptly informed me that her "new favorite" was hamburgers.  Good thing her Grammy is so nice and made those for her the next night!

With the green soup, I made this new salad/sandwich.  This would be perfect with fresh ingredients from your farmer's market.  You can eat it open face with a fork or knife or fold it like a taco and pick it up.  I loved it and had it the next few days for lunch as well.


Mediterranean Pita Pizzas (serves 2)

2 pitas (I used whole wheat)
1 roma tomato
1 small persian cucumber
1/2 avocado
1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
1/4 cup hummus
2 T crumbled feta cheese
salt, pepper, oregano, olive oil

Heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Put the pita pockets in for about 5 minutes - you want to warm them but not make them crispy.  While the pitas are heating, chop the tomato, cucumber, avocado and olives and place in a bowl.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano and drizzle with a little olive oil.  You can make this part ahead too and set it aside to let the flavors combine.

Spread each pita with 2 tablespoons of hummus.  Top with half of the vegetable mixture and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of feta cheese.  Serve immediately.

3 comments:

  1. If that necklace is what I think it is, in England they're called Sticky Willies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I feel like we had some sort of name for them too (not Sticky Willies) but I can't remember what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for spring! Looks like it is off to a good start. And, oh, the turtle. I have happy memories of being at your house and little Ashlynn saying "tur-tol" about a hundred times. Turtles are just the right speed and size for little ones.

    ReplyDelete