Friday, July 16, 2010

New Waffles



I saw a friend's post about these waffles and went to buy yeast the next day. Then I waited until I had some friends over to make a batch. I'll admit, I didn't know how many waffles the recipe will make and there were 5 kids there so I made them bisquick waffles before I served these to the big people. Is that mean? We had maple syrup, sliced strawberries, and whipped cream to go with the waffles. I can't wait until the day I can have a strong cup of black coffee or a mimosa!

I don't often bake with raised batters or dough but this couldn't have been easier. I think it's my new favorite waffle recipe. You have to plan ahead and start the night before, but it's really easy in the morning - the batter will be ready before your waffle maker heats up.

If you're weirded out by leaving milk out all night (didn't bother me), this is what David Lebovitz says: "If you are concerned about leaving the yeast mixture on the counter overnight with the milk in it, you could probably put the mixture in the refrigerator, then take it out 1 hour before you plan to use it."

Raised Waffles (makes 8 in a belgian waffle maker)
From The Fannie Farmer Cookbook by Marion Cunningham

1/2 cup warm water
1 package dried yeast
2 cups warm milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Use a rather large mixing bowl--the batter will rise to double its original volume. Put the water in the mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast. Let stand to dissolve for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, salt, sugar, and flour to the yeast mixture and beat until smooth and blended. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature.

Just before cooking the waffles, beat in the eggs, add the baking soda , and stir until well mixed. The batter will be very thin. Pour about 1/2-3/4 cup batter into a very hot waffle iron. Bake until golden and crisp. This batter will keep for several days in the refrigerator.

8 comments:

  1. I'm crazy about waffles. My mom used to make corn waffles -- that, with maple syrup is unforgettable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had waffles in ages. I just wish they didn't take so long to bake!
    One thing I read once is to put chopped pecans on the baker before pouring on the batter. The waffle baker toasts them and they taste soooo good with real maple syrup.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your waffles are better than any restaurant bot ones I've had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can smell the yeast from here. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, so excited you tried and like the waffles. I love that they are so easy to make in the morning. Next time I write how many the recipe makes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds excellent... I imagine they were crispy outside and fluffy inside? Raw milk would be perfect in this--I've let my raw milk sit out for two nights in a jar to make old-fashioned clabbered milk. Could this recipe be from the days when milk was unpasteurized and it was normal to leave milk out on the counter? I will definitely try this... maybe this weekend. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These were SO GOOD. Do you think I could use instant yeast?

    I just checked my edition of Fannie Farmer (1979, handed down by my grandmother. Not a family heirloom, though. Funny story: that grandmother was a very good cook. Her sister-in-law, with whom she had a rather touchy although close relationship, gave her the cookbook one year and my grandmother was insulted, even ten years later, when she gave me the book. "Does A. think I don't know how to cook?! Here, you can have it." Since I didn't really know how to cook, I was properly appreciative!) and this recipe isn't in there.

    Okay, so the parenthesis was longer than the actual paragraph. Too tired to go back and rewrite, but not too tired to say, thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that instant yeast would probably work. You're letting it rise overnight and not working with the dough so it should do basically the same thing. I found the recipe somewhere else even though they credited Fannie Farmer . . . maybe that was a mistake :) And, great story. I wouldn't be insulted by a cookbook!

    ReplyDelete