Monday, March 5, 2012

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies



Now, these cookies aren't anything new (I've had them before when my mom and sister in law have made them) and the recipe isn't a big family secret - you can find it on the back of the bag of Trader Joe's gluten free oats.  But, they are so good I had to put the recipe here so everyone can make them.

My motivation in baking them last week was twofold.  First, I was at the park when Big sister came running over to tell me that "these girls are selling cookies in boxes."  Girl Scout cookie time!  I told her we could buy some, gave her some money, and then realized that my niece was standing there and couldn't have any cookies because the Girl Scouts haven't yet decided to make a gluten free cookie.  I felt so bad and we didn't open them there, but waited until we got home.  So, I wanted to make gluten free cookies to give some to my niece the next time I saw her.  (Funny story - she almost didn't get any because the adults scarfed down all the cookies except one while the kids were playing)

Also, we got invited to go to the Huntington Library with a new friend who I know from the internet & blogging.  It's always fun to meet someone whose writing I admire and whose life I sort of keep up with in a virtual way.  If you know me from my blog or from "real life," you'll remember that when I'm trying to make a friend or get on someone's good side, I bake.  Karin was gracious and patient with my kids (even daring enough to share snacks with them) and a lot of fun to hang out with.  The weather was beautiful and Big keeps asking when we're going back - it was a great outing.

I didn't get a photo of her eating the cookies, but how about these two chocolate chip faces??

My nephew enjoyed the gf dessert offering

I can't tell you how many cookies Little ate because you'd think less of me as a mother . . . 
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies (makes 4 dozen)

1/4 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
3 c. gluten free rolled oats
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup peanut butter
6 oz chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine sugar, brown sugar, and butter in a large bowl.  Beat until creamy.  Add eggs, vanilla, and baking soda.  Mix well.  Add the peanut butter and mix.  Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.  Place dough by heaping teaspoons on a lightly greased cookie sheet (I lined mine with Silpat, parchment would also work fine) about 2 inches apart.  Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your link to the sweet potato recipe. It looks delicious, and I will be sure to try it soon. I sent you an email, so check your spam folder if it did not come through....Now you will be able to email me should you want to.

    ReplyDelete