Monday, June 30, 2014

Homemade Ice Cream Treats


Last week we had friends over for supper and their son has a dairy allergy so I made two batches of sorbet in the ice cream maker for dessert.  Both turned out yummy but I particularly liked the peach.  I added some no-dairy creaminess to that recipe because I thought it would go great with the peach flavor . . . and it did!  I don't like super sweet ice creams and I thought the sweet, ripe summer fruit didn't need too much additional sugar.  For both of these recipes, taste the mixture and adjust it according to your preferences.

I hope you're enjoying your summer as much as we are!  We have had some fun outings, good visits with friends and family, lazy afternoons, and warm nights.  Here is one of my girls' favorite summer songs this year (Lisa Loeb cover of the song from the 80s movie "Meatballs")



Dairy free Peach Ice Cream (makes 1 qt)
adapted from Gluten Free Goddess

About 4 cups of peaches, peeled
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup coconut milk
3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Take one cup of the peaches and dice them small and set aside.  Put the remaining peaches in a small saucepan with the brown sugar and cook over medium heat mashing for about 3-4 minutes (you want the sugar to dissolve and the peaches to soften up).  Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.  Add the coconut milk, almond milk, and vanilla and blend until combined.  Stir in the diced peaches.

Place the mixture in the refrigerator until cold.  Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.

Strawberry Sorbet (makes 1 qt)

2 lbs strawberries, stems removed
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup water
juice of 1 lime

Make a simple syrup by combine sugar and water in a saucepan and heating until the sugar has dissolved.

Put the strawberries and lime juice in a blender and puree.  Add the simple syrup and combine.  Place the mixture in the refrigerator until cold.  Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions.

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is, you're a really, really good friend. I knew I'd never make this when I read, "About 4 cups of peaches, peeled."

    ReplyDelete