Saturday, June 21, 2014

Cereal Bars


Another Pinterest victory!  I have made a few variations of granola bars but I think these are one of my favorite homemade bars so far.  There are only a few ingredients, they came together super fast (no baking) and everyone liked them.  My kids wanted chocolate chips next time but I think they're plenty sweet from the honey and don't need sugar.  I put the pan in the refrigerator to help it set up and so it stuck together better and it kept for about a week and a half.  I'd slice pieces as I needed them and put them in baggies to send with my kids for snack (or for myself for breakfast on my way to work).

Peanut Butter Honey Cereal Bars (12 bars)
from Chew Out Loud

4 cups toasted oats cereal (I used plain Cheerios)
1 cup dried berries (cranberries, blueberries) or raisins
1/2 cup honey roasted peanuts (or plain)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (or other nut butter)

Mix the first 3 ingredients in a large bowl to combine.  Heat the honey and peanut butter in a small saucepan while stirring until smooth and combined.  If it seems too hot, like it will burn you when you press the mixture into the pan, let it cool for a few minutes.

Pour the peanut butter mixture into the cereal mixture and stir to completely coat the cereal mixture.  Dump it into a lightly greased 8x8 pan and press down really well (I used a piece of waxed paper).  Let it cool completely before slicing. 

1 comment: