Monday, August 12, 2013

Mini Greek Meatloaves with Arugula Salad


I made this for dinner earlier this summer and just realized I never posted the recipe as I had intended to.  One of the reasons I made it was because I was looking for any recipe that contained arugula to use the massive amount that was growing in our garden.  We also were growing mint and thyme.  Well, a couple of months and a vacation later and our arugula is not looking so great . . . in fact, I bought some at Sprouts earlier this week because I couldn't harvest enough for a salad.

Meatloaf is one of those scary dishes for me . . . meat . . . in a loaf?  But, I have tried as a grown up to make some decent meatloaves and try variations on the traditional recipes.  This recipe is a keeper - I liked the flavors a lot and the yogurt feta topping is awesome.

Mini Greek Meatloaves with Arugula Salad (serves 4)
from Cooking Light May 2013

10 oz ground sirloin
5 oz lean ground lamb
1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
1/3 cup grated red onion
4 tsp. chopped fresh mint
4 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
3/8 tsp. salt, divided
1/4 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 c. plain nonfat Greek yogurt
2 oz reduced fat feta, crumbled
2 T lemon juice, divided
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
4 cups baby arugula leaves
1.5 cups thinly sliced seeded peeled cucumber (I used persian cucumbers and didn't peel or seed them).

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.  Stir in 1 T mint, 1 T thyme, 1/4 tsp. salt, allspice, red pepper, garlic, and egg.  Divide mixture into eight portions and make small loaves out of them and place them on a cookie sheet.  Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes.  Turn broiler to high and broil for 2-3 minutes.

Combine yogurt, feta, 1 T lemon juice, 1 teaspoon mint, and 1 teaspoon thyme in a mini food processor; pulse 10 times to combine.

Combine 1 T lemon juice, oil, 1/8 tsp. salt and pepper in a bowl.  Add arugula and cucumber and toss.

Top the meatloaves with a dollop of the yogurt feta mixture and serve with the arugula salad on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment