Monday, December 6, 2010

Tortellini Soup

We had tortellini soup at a friend's house a few weeks ago and I've been wanting to make it ever since.  Last night after church, I realized that I had most of the ingredients I thought I needed and I made up this recipe.  It was pretty good - my husband said that fresh tortellini (the kind you buy refrigerated as opposed to the dry stuff I used) would have made it better.  And, of course, he doused his portion with red chili flakes.  The tortellini absorbed more liquid than I thought so I added some hot water at the end.  You can up the amount of broth in the recipe or use the whole can of diced tomatoes to avoid that problem.

Tortellini Soup (serves 2)

2 links spicy Italian sausage
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/2 tsp. oregano
2 cans chicken broth
1/2 can diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning
1 1/2 c. dried cheese tortellini
Fresh parmesan cheese

Take the sausage out of the casings, crumble and brown in a large pot with the onion. Drain the grease.   Add the oregano, tomatoes, and broth and bring to a boil.  Add the tortellini and cook until it's soft (at least the length of time that the package says).  After putting the soup in bowls, grate the parmesan cheese over the top of it (or use a vegetable peeler to make thin strips) and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment