Saturday, December 4, 2010

Another holiday dessert



I distinctly remember being a kid and not understanding why anyone would choose the brown pie with the nuts when they could be eating pumpkin pie or apple pie.  Then, one Thanksgiving I tried it and I fell in love. Even with the loss of my childish innocence as to what makes that sugary gooey goodness (corn syrup, butter and sugar), pecan pie is my favorite holiday pie.  I've done variations (added cranberries, chocolate chips, made it into bars) but the plain 'ol original is still the best.

I brought a pecan pie to Thanksgiving at my mom's this year.  In other Thanksgiving news, my 3 year old daughter ran a WHOLE MILE at a kid's run in La Canada.  I didn't think she'd be able to run the whole distance but her little legs just kept going!


I'm toying with the idea of posting only desserts until Christmas because face it, what are the holidays without an extra 10 pounds and way too much sugar?  We'll see if any protein or main dishes make it onto the blog in the next 23 days.  Wait . . . nuts are a good source of protein.  So maybe pecan pie is good for you after all!

Pecan Pie (8 servings)
recipe from my mom

1 uncooked pie crust
3 eggs
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 t. salt
1 c. dark Karo syrup
1 c. pecans (halves, not chopped)

Make or buy a pie crust and put it into a pie pan.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Beat eggs until foamy (I use a whisk, but you could also use a mixer).  Add butter, vanilla, sugar and salt.  Beat well.  Add Karo syrup.  Beat until foamy.  Pour into pie pan.  Pour pecans on top "and sink them with a fork or something."  Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the center is only a little jiggly and starting to crack.

2 comments:

  1. The pie was fantastic, I ate the left overs, bite by bite for days! Thanks so much for the GF crust, you're so supportive! I am thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete