Friday, December 17, 2010

Cranberry Upside Down Cake




I love the holidays!  Before we get to the cake I just made, let me say that our December has been so much fun so far and we have many more fun activities to come.  My nephew being born has been one of the highlights of December so far but I don't have any photos of that to share.  Here are some photos of decorating the tree, watching the Christmas Parade at Disneyland (and seeing the fake snow), and big sister's first Christmas program at preschool.







I have 4 girlfriends that I get together with about once a week (I know - that's amazing, right?).  Tonight I'm hosting the annual Christmas party that we have  We're just having dessert, drinks, a gift exchange (something used or made - not new), and for the first time this year, we're all supposed to wear "ugly Christmas sweaters."  If you know me very well, you know I don't like to dress up as something for parties so this obviously wasn't my idea!  But, it'll be fun and I'm excited to have a grown-up Christmas party with my friends.  Here's what I'm making:

Champagne Cosmopolitans

Put a little bit of Triple Sec, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and about 2 tablespoons of cranberry juice in a champange glass.  Top with champagne and serve with a slice of lime.


Cranberry Upside Down Cake (serves 8)

Topping:
1 1/2 c. whole cranberries
6 T butter
6 T brown sugar

Cake:
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter and flour the sides of a springform pan.  Wrap the bottom of the pan in foil and set the pan on a baking sheet. In a small saucepan, melt the 6 T butter.  Whisk in the brown sugar and stir for a few minutes until well combined.  Pour on the bottom of the springform pan.  Spread the cranberries over the butter sugar mixture making sure they're in a single layer.  Set aside.


Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Cream the 1/2 c. / 1 stick butter with the sugar.  Add the yolks, one at a time, until well combined.  Add the extracts.  Alternately add the flour mixture and the milk.  Make sure it's all combined but don't overmix.  In a separate large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.  Add one-fourth of the egg whites to the cake batter and stir it in to lighten the batter.  Then, very gently fold the rest of the egg whites into the batter until no streaks remain.  Spoon batter over the cranberry topping.  


Bake for 45-55 minutes until the top of the cake is lightly browned and a tester comes out clean.  Cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes.  Invert onto a serving platter.  Serve warm or room temperature.

1 comment: