Thursday, April 1, 2010

Green Bean, Asparagus, & Lemon Pasta Salad


(Photo from Martha Stewart . . . we ate it too fast for a picture)

My friend Marina made this pasta salad a couple of weeks ago and I've been thinking about it ever since. It's originally from Martha Stewart and has such great spring flavors. Martha says use half green beans and half yellow wax beans but I copied Marina and did green beans and asparagus. I used lemons off our lemon tree, green veggies from farmer's market, and a half bag of macaroni that's been lurking in my cupboards for awhile. I made half of the recipe as a side dish with some chicken my husband bbq'd and it was fantastic.

I liked being able to use one pot of boiling water to make it and don't skip (or skimp) on the pine nuts and shaved parmesan . . . yum.

If anyone wants lemons, let me know!

Green Bean, Asparagus & Lemon Pasta Salad (Serves 8)

4 ounces green beans, trimmed
4 ounces asparagus, trimmed
Coarse salt
1 pound curved, dried pasta (I used macaroni)
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from about 2 lemons)
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 ounce pine nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (1/4 cup)
1/2 ounce finely grated Parmesan cheese(1/2 cup
1 ounce Parmesan cheese shaved with a vegetable peeler (1/2 cup)
1 1/2 cups baby arugula

Prepare an ice-water bath. Cook green beans in a large pot of boiling salted water for about 2 minutes. Add the asparagus and cook 2 minutes more. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to ice-water bath until cool, reserving water in pot. Drain beans, and cut into 2-inch-long pieces.

Add pasta to the reserved boiling water, and cook until al dente. Drain and rinse pasta with cold water then transfer to a large serving dish.

Whisk lemon zest and juice and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Season with pepper. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking until emulsified. Drizzle over pasta, and toss until well coated.

Add beans, asparagus, pine nuts, and grated Parmesan. Toss until evenly distributed. Just before serving, fold in arugula, and top with shaved Parmesan.

4 comments:

  1. Ack! Am I the only one with a disfunctional lemon tree? It won't grow a thing. (Salad sound delicious)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are inspiring me to actually write up a weekly menu because boy, do I need to get organized. I am so glad that you blog all of these great recipes! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, I really need to read your blog more often and start thinking about weekly menu (I end up going grocery shopping way more often that I want to). I am glad you tried the macaroni salad -- it's so simple, but I think it's so refreshing and fresh lemons make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori - and I'm glad you read!
    Marina - thanks for turning me on to this recipe . . . it's going into regular rotation around here!

    ReplyDelete