Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dessert for Friends



Last weekend, we were lucky to be invited to friend's houses for Saturday lunch, Saturday dinner, and Sunday dinner (well, that was women - the dads and kids ordered pizza). I showed my appreciation by baking and it was fun. First up were the cupcakes you see there for my godson Charlie's post-baptism party. It was a new recipe for orange cupcakes.  I didn't fill them with any jelly or filling, just frosted with a cream cheese frosting and served.

Orange Cupcakes (makes 28 regular sized ones)
from Cupcake Bakeshop

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2.75 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 c. milk
1/4 cup fresh orange juice with pulp
2 tsp. orange extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
zest of one half orange.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a pan with cupcake liners.

Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.  Add sugar.  Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 30 seconds between each.

Whisk together salt, baking powder and salt in another bowl.  Add about a third of the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and beat to combine.  Add about a half of the milk and beat to combine.  Continue adding, alternating between dry and wet, finishing with the dry.

Add the orange juice, orange extract, vanilla, and orange zest.  Beat to combine.

Fill cupcake liners half full and place cupcakes in the oven.  Turn the oven down to 350 degrees.  Bake for 20-24 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.



Next up was this bundt cake. I've posted the recipe before and it was as good as I remembered it - very decadent. The best part about this is the mocha icing. I want to try it on other stuff because you don't get as much of the flavor on the top of a slice of bundt cake. We ate part of it Saturday night and I took the rest (sliced thin this time) to the Sunday evening event. And, had a piece for breakfast Sunday morning. Indulgence!



Speaking of indulgences, I'll report on my trip to Sonoma and Napa next week - have a good weekend! Thanks to everyone who is helping out with my daughter while I'm gone!

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me it's time for a cupcake. Gotta get over to one of my fav cupcake joints- either Polktatots or Bec's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or Dots, or Crumbs . . . yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, btw, there will be a Pasadena area blogger get together on May 8th

    ReplyDelete