Monday, April 6, 2009

My "go-to" meal

If I've brought you dinner because you had a baby, had surgery, or for some other reason, it was probably these enchiladas. They're my go to when I have to make food for someone else, especially when I want a dish that doesn't have to go into the oven right away (you can refrigerate these for several days or you can make the filling ahead of time and roll later if it's easier).

A long time ago I found a recipe called "weeknight enchiladas" that was the original version of these but I've made so many changes over the years that this is more my recipe than anything else. Tonight, they hit the spot and I served them with spanish rice. Baby girl even liked the filling and ate almost a whole enchilada (I made hers without jalapenos and she was a fan of the "beanas").

Chicken Enchiladas (serves 4-6)

3 cups of chopped cooked chicken (I often use a rotisserie chicken)
1-2 cups shredded cheese (monterey jack, a mexican blend)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 c. sour cream
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles (or jalapenos if you want it spicier)
1/3 c. cilantro, chopped
1/3 c. green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
8 (8 in.) flour tortillas
1 10 oz. can green enchilada sauce

Stir together all ingredients except tortillas and enchilada sauce. Spread a big spoonful of chicken mixture in the middle of each tortilla and roll up. Place tortillas, seam side down, in a 9x 13 pan lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Top with enchilada sauce and some of the cheese. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.

* You can leave out the black beans if you don't like them. Lately, I've been skipping the onions. You can adjust the amounts of cheese to your liking and use cayenne, red pepper flakes, or jalapenos to make them spicier. Last night I used white corn tortillas instead of flour but they can break apart when they're rolled in the pan and don't look as pretty. The recipe filled 10 corn tortillas with a little left over.

2 comments:

  1. Yum. This recipe sounds excellent, though the flour tortillas are surprising. I've always used corn... The key to keeping the corn tortillas from breaking is to warm them first. Or, you could do it as a "casserole" which is what I most often do when making enchiladas. Just lay the tortillas flat in a baking dish (maybe a splash of sauce underneath), top with the chicken mixture, another layer of tortillas, then sauce and cheese--do as many layers as you have ingredients for, or as many as will fit in your dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, at first I wasn't sure about flour tortillas either and now that I'm avoiding white flour, the corn is my usual. I've tried an enchilada casserole before but not with this filling - great idea.

    ReplyDelete