Monday, April 27, 2009

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins


When we have brown bananas (I'm weird and I like eating them on the green side), this is sometimes what I make. The recipe is originally from Bon Appetit and is great - the muffins always come out perfectly, I usually have all the ingredients on hand, and today is probably the first time I've even modified the recipe. I've heard my friend Nicole has had good luck with some changes and I was trying to make them a little healthier for my daughter to eat (see notes on original recipe at the end).


My daughter had fun baking again today and tried to mash the bananas. I drew the line at her cracking the egg.

My favorite part was when the muffins came out of the oven and she ran to get a ziplock bag and wanted to put muffins in bags to give to Ray, our friend who was working on our house and Brayden, her best friend down the street.



Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins (12 muffins)

1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
2/3 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. mashed ripe banana (about 2 large)
1 egg
1/2 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. mini chocolate-chips (semi-sweet)
1/4 c. chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare muffin tin (I used paper liners). Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Mix bananas, egg, milk, and butter in a medium bowl. Stir banana mixture into dry ingredients until just blended (don't overmix). Stir in chocolate chips. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and bake until tops are pale golden and toothpick comes out with no crumbs - about 32 minutes.

*If you want to make the original recipe, use all white flour, 3/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips and no walnuts.

5 comments:

  1. Oh woman!, this looks lika tasty blog! Do you cook for K9's as well?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I don't have any dogs in my life right now . . . feel free to send me some K9 friendly recipes - my daughter would LOVE to feed anything to a dog, especially something she made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EuroPane is child & dog friendly. The place is small & simple but it's the quality you go there for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cutie pie you have! And your daughter looks cute too. I love throwing bananas in things because my daughter is really picky. We throw them in chocolate cookies, smoothies, and, of course, banana bread.

    ReplyDelete