Saturday, February 14, 2009

Seared Ahi


Today I was at Whole Foods and it was crowded with people buying food for Valentine's meals. Luckily, they had plenty of sushi-grade Ahi tuna available. I bought 2 tuna steaks to serve with salad for dinner. We ended up slicing it and putting it on the salad with a good sesame miso dressing that I bought at Whole Foods. I've prepared ahi exactly the same way every time for the last few years.

Ahi rub:
2 T sesame seeds
2 tsp Chinese 5 Spice seasoning
1 tsp Montreal steak seasoning OR kosher salt and fresh ground pepper

Combine the ingredients and rub the mixture all over the outside of the Ahi steaks. Sear them on a hot grill for 2 minutes per side for rare (longer if you don't like your tuna pink in the center).

This amount of rub should be enough for 2 eight ounce servings. For presentation, I cut the steaks into 1/4 inch thick slices (like in the photo).

No comments:

Post a Comment