Monday, September 21, 2015

Taco seasoning

With soccer and school underway, I've been serving a steady rotation of some family favorites - tacos, grilled salmon, and spaghetti are three of those easy meals that everybody around here loves.  With all the tacos lately, it was time to make a new batch of taco seasoning.

I originally posted a link to this on one of my rants about hidden msg in food but I thought I'd share the whole recipe.  You can tweak it for your family's tastes.  I don't find it to be spicy (even with the red pepper flakes) but feel free to add a little less or more of a particular ingredient.  I was out of garlic powder and left it out this time.  This amount usually lasts me a few months and I sprinkle it over ground turkey or beef for tacos but it's also come in handy for enchilada casseroles and other dishes.  It's way cheaper than buying packets of taco seasoning and I think it tastes better too!

Taco Seasoning (from foodrenegade.com)
Makes about 1 cup

1/4 c. + 1 T chili powder
1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 1/4 tsp onion powder
1 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
2 T + 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 T + 2 tsp sea salt
1 T + 2 tsp ground black pepper

Combine all ingredients together, place in a glass jar and store with your spices.

No comments:

Post a Comment