Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Apple Fennel Sausage Crepes

I know it's been a little while since I've posted pictures of updates about the girls - they're all getting taller, keeping me on my toes, say the smartest and cutest things, and produce a ton of laundry.  Here's a picture of them on the kitchen counter from this morning (yes, Big just lost her 7th tooth):  

I'll try to do a little Easter recap after the weekend!


Anyhow, I made these savory crepes a few weeks ago for my husband and I.  It was one of those evenings where I got the kids to bed early-ish and we had time to sit and enjoy dinner just the two of us.  I haven't made crepes in ages and I had a great mix from Cost Plus that I wanted to try out.  It's not a sweet mix and works well with savory fillings.  I have a link below to a brown butter crepe recipe if you want to make your own from scratch.

The photo above doesn't do it justice but the combination of leeks, fennel, and apples was delicious.  You could use a ground / bulk Italian sausage (cooked through and crumbled) or use fully cooked links like I did - I thought that the chicken apple sausages form Trader Joe's worked great and made the preparation a little quicker.

Apple Fennel Sausage Crepes (serves 4)
from Fine Cooking

8 crepes (this is a good recipe)
8 oz fully cooked chicken apple sausage, sliced
1/2 tsp. fennel seeds, lightly toasted in a dry skillet and crushed
2 medium tart apples, peeled and diced
2 large leeks, sliced 1/4 inch thick (white and green part) and washed
salt and pepper
olive oil
4 oz goat cheese

Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy skillet and add the leeks.  Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until very soft and fragrant.  Remove from the pan to a large bowl and cover with a lid or foil to keep warm. Drizzle a little olive oil in the same skillet and add the chicken apple sausage, sautéing until lightly brown and warmed through.  Add the fennel seeds.   Scrape it all into the bowl with the leeks.  Add one more tablespoon of olive oil, the apples and a little salt.  Cook, stirring often, until the apples begin to brown, about 4 minutes.  Transfer to the bowl with the sausage mixture.

Prepare the crepes.  To finish the crepes, spread goat cheese down the middle of each crepe and top with the sausage, apple, leek mixture.  Fold the bottom of the crepe up and roll (like a burrito).  Arrange them snugly in a buttered baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.



2 comments: