Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies

 
 
It's officially fall!  Although the kids have been in school a few weeks, today marks my first day back in the classroom after 7 months.  In fact, 7 months ago today, baby girl was born!  I'm thankful for the time I had at home and for the flexibility that a teaching job provides me but leaving the baby for such a long time made me a little sad this morning.  I'm sure she'll be having fun with Daddy & her big sisters and won't be as sad as I am.
 
It even rained a little bit this morning and cooled down to feel more like fall than the 90 degree days we've been having around here.  These cookies have a distinctly fall flavor with pumpkin and spices.  I've made snickerdoodle variations in the past but this is probably my favorite.  I only had whole wheat flour when I made these and they still turned out light and delicious.

Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies (makes about 4 doz)
from Baked by Rachel

1 c. butter, softened
1.5 c. granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. pumpkin puree
2 3/4 c. all purpose flour (or combination of whole wheat and regular)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1.5 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

For topping:
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add egg, vanilla and pumpkin. Mix until barely combined.

In a medium bowl, stir together dry ingredients.  Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into batter until mixed.  In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients.  Shape balls of dough that are about tablespoon sized and roll in the topping mixture.  Place on a cookie sheet 2 inches apart.

Bake for 11-12 minutes.  Cool on pan for 1-2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment