Thursday, May 17, 2012

Pesto Potato & Green Bean Salad


I'm really excited that it's almost summer!  I keep myself from thinking about the 90+ essays I'll be collecting in the next week or so, I've been making a summer "fun" list of things I want to do . . . maybe I'll share it on here sometime soon.

This potato salad is a great summer side and addition to a barbecue or potluck.  Without any mayonnaise or anything like that, it can sit at room temperature for a long time and is good warm or cold.  You can serve it to your GF friends, and your vegatarian friends.  The other potato side dish I like to make is this Deconstructed Potato Salad but this pesto version with the green beans is definitely going to make its appearance at summer dinners this year!

I thought the leftovers were amazing and even though I didn't have pine nuts, I'd definitely add them the next time.  My husband thought the potatoes should be cut smaller than quarters so I'll probably make that change next time too.

I found the recipe on Smitten Kitchen and Deb makes her own pesto for the salad.  I used store bought (Trader Joe's) but if you want the ingredients & instructions to make your own (it's not hard!) click on the link under the recipe title.


Pesto Potato & Green Bean Salad  Serves 10

4 pounds small Yukon gold or red-skinned potatoes, quartered
1 pound green beans, cut into one-inch segments
1 cup of prepared pesto
6 Tablespoons (or more to taste) of a mild vinegar (white wine, champagne, or white balsamic)
1/4 cup chopped green onions (scallions)
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
Parmesan cheese to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 10 minutes. Add beans; cook four minutes longer. Drain well and let cool, then transfer potatoes and 
beans to a large bowl.

Toss the beans and potatoes with pesto. Stir in vinegar, green onions, pine nuts and season with salt, pepper and/or additional vinegar to taste. Finally, shave some wide flecks of parmesan over the salad with a vegetable peeler.

Serve immediately, or make this up to two hours in advance. It can be stored at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. I do like to make pesto in the summer, and that sounds like a good use for it.

    ReplyDelete