Friday, July 31, 2009

Ice Cream Roundup


My ice-cream contest that I was thinking of doing this summer didn't materialize but I'm participating in a "Recipe Round Up" where people link to their ice cream recipes. I've posted this in the past but it's a good one for summer. Maybe in this ice cream round up, I'll find the chai tea or green tea ice cream recipes I've been wanting . . .

Spiced Apple Frozen Yogurt (makes 1 1/2 quarts)

1 1/2 cup of apple sauce (I used the chunky kind with spices but no added sugar)
2 cups Greek yogurt (I used the kind with honey added from Trader Joe's)
1 T whole milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 c. sugar (optional - I like it tart so I leave it out)

Combine all ingredients in a blender. You can store it in the refrigerator for a few hours until you're ready to make the frozen yogurt. Then, just pour it in your ice cream maker according to your model's instructions.

I think it's best to make frozen yogurt right when you want to eat it - the texture isn't great if it's put in the freezer after it's made.

3 comments:

  1. Looks good, but way beyond my abilities. I just head over to Lake & Altadena and plunk down $31 on a quart of gellato.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This frozen yogurt sounds very good, Bec. Even an ice cream version would be great too. Thank you for the tip about making it when ready to eat it, and for participating in the roundup. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For Green Tea Ice Cream, you'll probably need to get that powdered green tea. You can find it at Asian markets. There's a tasty organic one called Beeline (www.beelinecompany.com) that you can get at Bristol Farms. I have a sample packet of it if you'd like to have it so you can get an idea of what it's like.

    ReplyDelete