Monday, July 13, 2009

Chili Verde


I usually don't think much about my crock-pot in the summer since I don't make soup and we do a lot of grilling but I'm using it this week to keep the oven off. I have a few favorite slow cooker recipes and this one is really easy and really tasty. Now, I know there are a lot of ways to make chili verde and I have respect for roasting chiles and tomatillos and making fresh sauce, so I readily admit that this recipe is a cheater short cut. If you have Trader Joe's near you, their salsa verde is perfect for making this.

Start by putting 2 cups of salsa verde in the crock pot and stir in one 4oz can of chopped green chiles (or jalapenos). Then, add 4 boneless skinless chicken pieces. Breasts work fine but I am using half chicken breasts, half chicken thighs today. Cook it on high in your crock pot for 4 hours (you can cook it longer on low and may have to adjust times based on your particular slow cooker - mine cooks really fast). After the initial time, use a fork to shred the meat in the crock pot. If the meat won't shred, you need to cook it longer. Add another 1/2 cup of the salsa, 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed), 1 can of white beans (like cannelini, drained and rinsed), and stir it all together. Cook on high for 30 more minutes.

Sprinkle it with a little cotija cheese and cilantro and eat it over hot cooked rice or in a warm tortilla . . . yum! This makes about 4 servings.

4 comments:

  1. Oh girl, we gotta make sure you make our next crock pot luck. If Lisa can cook (she appears good in restaurants at least), she needs to come too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. I have a crock pot and I always want to use it but never know what to do with it. So I appreciate recipes like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! This looks great. I love chili verde!

    By the way...re: cherry upside down cake on my blog: I think the 9x3 springform will work fine. But I wouldn't put that on the stove to melt the butter because it would come out the sides...perhaps you can melt it on the stove and then put it into the springform. I would wrap the springform in foil too. Or, you can try the 9x2...it just might puff up a lot, but it should work and the dough should come back down into the pan during the cooling. I just thought it was a lot of easier in the 9x3. I'm sure it will be pretty!!! Let me know how it goes! :) - mary the food librarian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tips Mary - it's in the oven (in the springform wrapped in foil) as I write this and I'll let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete