Friday, June 26, 2009

Brownies to feel good about



Have you heard of those cookbooks (like the one by Jessica Seinfeld) where people (moms) add pureed vegetables to things to get some nutrition into their vegetable averse progeny? Well, my attempt at making brownies with sweet potatoes has nothing to do with that. I just thought it looked interesting and wanted to make a dessert with no white flour and no sugar. The recipe I tried was from Cook 4 Seasons and my trial run with making these did not disappoint me. I felt good letting my daughter have one after dinner. And, I admit, I've made 2 batches in 3 days. I HAVE to stop eating these.

I used good quality cocoa powder and my husband first thought it was flourless chocolate cake. He didn't guess there wasn't any added sugar and it doesn't have a maple flavor like I expected it too. Don't be put off by the espresso powder if you don't like coffee-flavored desserts. I think the small amount adds a lot to the recipe (and I had some in the cupboard after making the chocolate-espresso cookies). I hope you like them too - and I hope you don't overdo it like I did.

Notes: I left out the pecans but otherwise made it like the original recipe. If you don't have/use coconut oil, try pure butter or grapeseed oil instead. I used canned sweet potato puree from Trader Joe's (100% sweet potato) because I had some on hand but it's easy to make your own as described at the end of the recipe.

Ingredients:


Batter:


Sweet Potato Brownies

4 T extra-virgin coconut oil
2/3 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. whole wheat flour (or teff for gf)
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 T espresso powder
1/2 c. pure maple syrup
2/3 c. sweet potato puree
1 egg

Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8 inch square pan.  In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt coconut oil.  Remove from heat and stir in cocoa.  Let cool slightly.  Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, espresso and salt.

Combine maple syrup and sweet potato puree, followed by egg an vanilla.  Blend with the cocoa mix.  Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, stirring to combine until no traces of flour remain.  Spoon into prepared pan and smooth the top.  Bake until the surface barely looks dry and an inserted knife comes out with a few moist crumbs, about 20 minutes.  Cool before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Looks great, but my menu is dried out carrot sticks. For now.

    ReplyDelete