Monday, February 3, 2014

Meyer Lemon Sugar Cookies


I love meyer lemons and recently was given some yummy ones.  I had to try new cookies although I still like the Meyer Lemon Cardamom Crinkles we made last year.  That last year's recipe and post was almost exactly a year ago and it's crazy to see how much bigger my girls look now.  As Middle helped me out in her Rapunzel dress, it also reminded me of baking with this other Rapunzel . . . ironically, we made a lemon meringue pie.


The verdict on the new recipe:  While these had less lemon in them, they were a delicately flavored and textured sugar cookie.  It actually reminded me of my Grandma's sour cream cookies with a lemon flair.  We all gave them 2 thumbs up and with 4 dozen, passed some out to teachers, our tennis instructor, and friends.

Before I share the recipe, here are some pictures to show you how huge my kids are these days!  How did I get to be the mom of 3 so beautiful, smart, and funny children?  Most of the time, I can't believe believe I'm the mom.




Meyer Lemon Cookies (makes 4 dozen)

2 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. butter, softened
1.5 cups white sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
zest of one large Meyer lemon
4 T fresh Meyer lemon juice
1/2 c. sugar for rolling the cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with silpat or parchment paper.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg, vanilla, lemon zest and juice.  Add the dry ingredients, beating until just combined.  

Roll tablespoonfuls of dough into balls and then roll in sugar.  Place on prepared cookie sheets.  Bake for 8-10 minutes until delicately golden and and slightly cracked in the center.  Let them cool on the cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment