Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Yellow Ones



I made these cookies and uploaded this photo about a week ago. Then I didn't write anything else because I felt like I couldn't do justice to the memory of these cookies and my Grandma Vi. My grandma loved to cook, bake, and eat. I have fond memories of her explaining why it's okay to eat dessert first; a freshly baked peach pie one night when we arrived at her home from our cross country road trip; sandwiches with cheese, salt and pepper, mustard, and garden fresh tomatoes; and these yellow cookies.

These cookies were my favorite. When I got married, my mom and sisters collected recipe cards from different relatives for my recipe box and I have this recipe in my grandma's handwriting. She listed the ingredients but doesn't put anything about the method for combining the ingredients, only giving the steps for chilling and baking: "Bake until delicately browned, just until, when touched lightly with your finger, almost no imprint remains."

On the back there was a note: "Bec - the Betty Crocker book says to bake in a 400 degree oven. Maybe I bake mine too slow. You will know how your oven runs. I know these are some of your favorites. You and Chad!"

Some of the other recipes she wrote have little stories on them ("Once your dad and I ate a whole batch of these pancakes") and I can just hear her telling the stories.

I've never made these cookies until last week. Maybe because it makes me miss my grandma or maybe because the original recipe called for 1/2 cup of shortening (Crisco) and I couldn't bear to bake with it. But, I substituted butter and they were wonderful. Nostalgia in a yellow cookie.

Sour Cream Cookies (about 4 dozen)

1 1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter, room temperature
2 3/4 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs, room temperature
1 c. sour cream
1 t. vanilla

Combine sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla in a bowl and stir until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Stir in the sour cream.

Chill the dough at least 1 hour. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Drop rounded tablespoons about 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake until delicately browned (see note above), about 10-12 minutes depending on your oven (see note above).

3 comments:

  1. They sorta look likea scones from this angle. I mite just have a scone 2day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story, and they sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi bec, that was a special remembrance of grandma vi... you made me cry, I love you!
    dad

    ReplyDelete