Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Pumpkin Soup


One of the fun parts about having this blog is that it keeps me in touch with people who don't live nearby.  I hear that my husband's aunt often checks for pictures of my girls and now and then I get emails and notes from other people who read the blog.  My cousin Carol lived nearby while I was growing up and we went to church together.  Now that she lives in Illinois, I don't see her often but I love hearing from her.  She recently emailed me this recipe that she thought I would like.  She was right - it was delicious and much more flavorful than the pumpkin soup I usually make.  When we had this soup, I made a half batch and served it with a salad, but I wished I had made the whole amount so we could keep on eating it!  Adjust the curry to your preferences but I wouldn't recommend leaving it out altogether - it really adds to the overall flavor.  Thanks, Carol!

Pumpkin Soup (makes appx 8 cups)

1/4 c. butter
1 c. onion, chopped
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1/2 - 1 tsp curry powder
1.5 tsp. salt
3 cups chicken broth
1 (15oz) can pumpkin
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1.5 c. half and half

Saute onion and garlic in butter.  Add curry powder, salt and broth.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.  Whisk together pumpkin, cream of mushroom soup, and half and half.  Add to broth mixture and bring it to barely a simmer.  Serve.

1 comment: