Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pumpkin Gingerbread Pie



I love to make a twist on traditional recipes but I come from a family big on making the traditional dishes.  This year, I'm excited to be making my grandma's sweet potatoes and a turkey for the Thanksgiving meal that we'll be having at my mom's.  But, before the big day and all the traditional fixings, I decided to make one of my favorite combos:  a gingerbread pumpkin pie.

I found this recipe years ago in a Better Homes & Gardens magazine and have made it a few times.  It calls for a gingerbread mix, pretty readily available this time of year, and one of these days, I'd like to experiment with making a "real" gingerbread base instead of the mix.  But, right now easy is good!

Hope you have a blessed holiday!

Past Thanksgiving Posts with Recipes:
2012
2012 part 1
2010

Pumpkin Gingerbread Pie (serves 8)
from Better Homes & Gardens

1 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 slightly beaten egg
1/2 cup half and half
1 (14.5 oz) package gingerbread mix
whipped cream for serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat a 10  inch pie pan with baking spray (or butter) and set aside.  Combine pumpkin, sugar, pumpkin pie spec and egg and sit with a fork until just combined.
Add half and half and mix well.

Prepare gingerbread mix according to package directions.  Spoon into the pie plate and spread evenly.  Lightly spoon the pumpkin mixture over the top and swirl gently using a table knife.  Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a pick inserted in the gingerbread portion comes out clean.  Serve with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment