Friday, January 11, 2013

Starters and Endings


Today, a great appetizer and yummy cookie recipe that we enjoyed over the Christmas holiday.  I think I've written before about how I'm appetizer-challenged . . . I feel like I rarely have a good idea and when I put a lot of time into an appetizer when I'm entertaining, the rest of the meal suffers.  Typically, I do a cheese plate with crackers or veggies and some sort of dip.  But, this holiday season I got to bring appetizers to a few different gatherings where I wasn't responsible for the rest of the meal.  So, here is one of the easiest and yummiest appetizers I've made for awhile:

Tortellini Skewers
Prepare a package of cheese tortellini according to the directions, drain and set aside.  
Cut some cherry tomatoes in half and some mozzarella into bite sized chunks.  
On small skewers, thread a tomato half, a piece of mozzarella, a tortellini and another tomato half.  
Put the skewers in a large, shallow pan and drizzle with a red wine or balsamic vinaigrette (I bought a red wine vinaigrette from Trader Joe's).  
Refrigerate for an hour or two.  
Remove the skewers from the vinaigrette and put on a serving platter.   

I also wanted to  post about some delicious GF cookies I made for Christmas.  Alas, there is no photo of the cookie but they turned out great.  I wasn't sure of the recipe . . . with no butter it's also a good dairy free option but I wasn't sure how they were going to hold together.  The egg whites did the trick and gave the cookies a glossy appearance.  This recipe was perfect for Christmas baking - One bowl, no melting or whipping or extra steps.

Flourless Chocolate Coconut Cookies (makes 2 dozen)
from Everyday Food 12/12

3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
3/4 cocoa powder (spooned and leveled)
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup roughly chopped toasted almonds
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
4 large egg whites, room temperature

Preheat oven to 325 degrees with racks in the middle and lower third of the oven.  In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, cocoa, and salt.  Stir in the chocolate chips, almonds and coconut.  Add egg whites and stir until combined (do not over mix).

Drop dough by rounded tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto parchment or Silpat lined baking sheets.  Bake until tops are dry and cracked, 15-18 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.  Let coo completely on cookie sheets (place the whole sheet on a wire rack).

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy. Could you send me your email address? I thought I had it but my gmail acccount seems to have lost some of our email addresses.
    dcblunier at gmail

    ReplyDelete