Monday, February 20, 2012

Edamame Dip


I've said it before, but I'm not great at thinking up and putting together appetizers when I'm hosting dinner.  Dessert is a must but appetizers aren't my forte.  However, I tried out this dip and made homemade pita chips to go with it and I highly recommend it.  Our company and my kids liked it and it even got two thumbs up from my husband.  The recipe made a decent sized bowl so I kept eating it with raw veggies for a few days.


Edamame Dip (makes about 2 cups)
from Simply Recipes

8-10 oz shelled edamame, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup packed, roughly chopped cilantro
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. lime or lemon juice
1-2 tsp. salt
some Tabasco 
some Sesame oil

Add the edamame to boiling, salted water and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until tender.  Drain and rinse with cold water.  Place the edamame in a food processor (or blender - I used a hand blender which was a little tedious but worked in the end).  Pulse a few times.  Add the cilantro and pulse again.  Add the remaining ingredients and pulse until pureed.  Add more water if you want a smoother consistency.  Adjust seasonings (salt, tabasco, lime, sesame oil).  I started with about 5 shakes of Cholula (no Tabasco) and 1/4 tsp. sesame oil.  I needed to add more salt and a little more lime juice.  

Serve with pita chips, crackers, or veggies.



No comments:

Post a Comment