Friday, February 10, 2012

Broccoli Soup

I have no idea why this picture keeps uploading upside down . . . oh well.
I know this isn't a sweet recipe like I've been posting (homemade Valentine's fudge is on the agenda for the weekend, so I'll let you know how that turns out).  During the brief interludes of actual cool winter-like weather, I've been making soup.  The recipe comes from Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros.  It's a beautiful cookbook, organized by color and well-written with memories, stories, and recipes all interwoven.  I picked something from the "green" section to help us increase our vegetable intake, and the soup was good.  It's a simple recipe with few ingredients and I'd add some fresh herbs to it next time to give it a little more flavor.

Broccoli soup (6 servings)

6 cups chopped broccoli
7 cups cold water 
salt
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into big chunks
1 red onion, peeled and quartered
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream (plus more for serving)
freshly ground pepper

Save a handful of broccoli florets but put the rest in the saucepan with the potatoes and onion.  Add the cold water; season with one or two teaspoons of salt, and bring to a boil.  Skim the surface if necessary.  Lower the heat slightly, and simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes.  Add the other handful of florets 10 minutes before the end of the time.  You should be able to squash the broccoli easily on the side of the pan with a wooden spoon.

Puree everything in a blender (in batches) until completely smooth.  It should be thick but if it seems too thick, add some hot water.  If it's too thin, then cook it uncovered a little longer to reduce the liquid.  Add salt until you can taste the depth of the broccoli flavor.  Swirl in the cream and heat through.  Serve immediately.  Add a little swirl of cream to each portion and a good grinding of black pepper.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, this is good. Think I might make it today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made a broccoli soup once. My family hated it so much that now ther is a ban against it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this, and it was wonderful. Only thing I changed was to add garlic to the onions and some chicken stock. But the cream made all the difference.

    ReplyDelete