Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Coconut muffins


I was wanting some sweet chewy baked good the other day and decided to make these muffins.  You know I love coconut and I'd never made muffins with coconut milk before.  The recipe is vegan so if you have any egg or dairy allergies, this is a good option.

I think next time I might try the regular (not "light") coconut milk, substitute some of the white flour for whole wheat, and decrease the sugar by 1/4 cup.  I used unsweetened coconut flakes and they weren't overwhelmingly sweet but I think the sugar cut back might not make a big difference.  I haven't tried it, but I bet a gf flour would substitute pretty well here.

The one problem was I tried to eat one while it was warm and it stuck to the muffin liner a lot - wait until they're completely cool or grease a muffin tin without a paper liner.


Coconut Muffins (1 dozen)

Ingredients:
2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 14oz can of coconut milk
1/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. shredded coconut (plus more for sprinkling on top)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, bakign powder, baking soda, and salt.  In a separate bowl, combine coconut milk, applesauce and vanilla.  Add wet to dry, stirring just to combine, then fold in the shredded coconut.  Spoon into mufin cups and sprinkle additional shredded coconut on top.  Bake for about 18 minutes.

2 comments: