Friday, January 7, 2011

Crepes for dinner



A few years ago, my sister gave me a crepe pan and a crepe cookbook for my birthday.  I haven't made them nearly often enough as I should and yesterday I felt like making something "fun" for dinner. Now, my sister-in-law is the crepe person in the family and I kept thinking of her crepe parties when I was looking through recipes.  These weren't as good as hers but they were still a big hit - my husband asked with a sad voice, "they're all gone?" after he cleaned his plate.

The original recipe was for ham instead of the turkey and I think any thinly sliced deli meat would work in the recipe.  I liked this bechamel - a little different from other white sauces I've made recently but I had good results with it.  You can make all the crepes ahead of time but I made the filling first and as each crepe came off the pan, I filled it, rolled it and put it in the baking dish.  It was a little crazy but worked!  I had some extra sauce so I spooned it over the top when I pulled the crepes out of the oven.

And, for those of you who are interested, big sister ate a plain crepe by itself, turkey by itself, a few slices of cheese, and green beans.  A deconstructed version of our dinner!

Crepes with Turkey, Gruyere & Mushrooms (serves 3-4)
filling adapted from "Blinis & Crepes" by Camille Le Foll

For the crepes:

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted

Whisk together the flour and the eggs.  Gradually add the milk and water, stirring to combine.  Add the salt and butter; beat until smooth.  Heat a lighly oiled pan over medium high heat.  Pour about 1/4 cup batter into the pan, swirling the pan in a circular motion to evenly coat it with the batter.  Cook the crepe about 1 minute, until the bottom is light brown.  Turn and cook the other side about 30-45 seconds.  Stack on waxed paper.

For the filling:
8 oz mushrooms, cleaned and finely sliced
3 oz unsalted butter
pinch of nutmeg
scant 1/2 c. flour
1 1/4 c. milk
2 T sour cream
1 c. grated Gruyere cheese
10 slices cooked turkey
salt & pepper

Melt 2 T butter in a pan over medium heat, add the mushrooms and toss until cooked.  Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg.  Transfer to a plate or bowl, wipe out the pan, and melt 2 more tablespoons of butter.  Add the flour and mix thoroughly.  Cook on low heat 1-2 minutes and pour all the milk into the mixture at once.  


Whisk vigorously and continuously until the sauce thickens and becomes smooth and velvety.  Cook for a couple of minutes.  Add the mushrooms and cook for another minute.  Remove from heat and add sour cream and grated cheese.  Season with salt and pepper.


Assemble the crepes  & bake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place a slice of turkey on each crepe and cover with a layer of mushroom sauce.  Roll it up and place in a greased ovenproof dish (I used an 8x8).  Dot with the remaining butter and cook in oven 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

3 comments:

  1. There are a couple of crepe joints in Old Towne you mite wanna try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, but, of course, my unworthy dining companions would wonder where the whipped cream and strawberries were.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, glad you used the crepe pan and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete