Monday, January 3, 2011

More Persimmons


Until recently, I had never tasted a Hachiya persimmon.  These have a more pointy bottom (instead of a flat bottom like the Fuyu) and are eaten very soft instead of firm (Fuyus have a consistency like a pear).  One description I read when trying to find out how I'd know when the Hachiya are ripe is that they should feel like water balloons.

One ripened up and I tasted it - delicious.  These are the ones that can make you have cotton mouth when they're unripe.  I've never tried it but Theresa says I should, just for the experience.   I used my ripe Hachiya in half of a muffin recipe from a recent issue of Cooking Light.  The muffins have both kinds of persimmons in them and were a big hit at our house.  A bonus about the recipe is that it used whole wheat flour, not much sugar, and no butter but they were moist, plenty sweet, and had a nice crumb.  I really liked the dried cranberries as an accent but the muffins would still be great without them.

The original recipe called for plain yogurt, 1/3 c. honey, 2 tsp. grated fresh ginger, and 1 tsp. vanilla.  I only had vanilla yogurt so I left out the vanilla and decreased the honey and I substituted ground ginger for the fresh.

I have four more Hachiya ripening on the counter so I'm hoping to make some cookies from a recipe my friend Katie shared with me.


Persimmon & Pecan Muffins (makes 18)
adapted from Cooking Light 11/10


  • 1/2  cup  chopped toasted pecans
  • 5.6  ounces  all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
  • 4.75  ounces  whole-wheat flour (about 1 cup)
  • 1/2  cup  packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/2  teaspoons baking soda
  • 1  teaspoon salt
  • 1  teaspoon  ground cinnamon
  • 1/2  teaspoon  ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8  teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1  cup Greek vanilla yogurt 
  • 1/3  cup  ripe mashed Hachiya persimmon
  • 2 T   honey
  • 1/4  cup  canola oil
  • 2  large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2  cup  diced peeled Fuyu persimmon
  • 1/2  cup  dried cranberries
  • Preheat oven to 350°.   Weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours and next 6 ingredients (through cloves) in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Combine yogurt and next 4 ingredients (through eggs) in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, and stir just until combined. Fold in Fuyu persimmon, cranberries, and toasted pecans. 
  • Spoon batter into 18 muffin cups coated with cooking spray or lined with paper liners. Bake muffins for 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes on a wire rack, and remove from pans.

1 comment: