Saturday, October 23, 2010

Buttermilk Coffeecake


This is what I brought to the pumpkin carving party with our friends.  I really like coffee cake and have been looking for a good, basic recipe.  This got good reviews from friends and my little sous chef (see cowgirl in the post below!) and I think I've found what I'm looking for.  I liked how there wasn't a bunch of butter in the crumble topping and the cake was moist and light.  Perfect with a cup of cider of coffee!

Buttermilk Cinnamon Coffee Cake

2 1/4 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon (divided)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 c. canola oil
1/2 c. sliced almonds
1/2 c. oats
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 c. buttermilk
1 egg

Whisk together the flour, sugars, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, salt and ginger in a large bowl until well combined.  Remove 3/4 c. of the mixture and put it in a smaller bowl.  In that smaller bowl, add the remaining teaspoon cinnamon, the almonds and oats.  This will be your topping but set it aside for now.  

Back in the big bowl, add the baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk and egg.  Stir until it's smooth.  Spread in a buttered 9x13 pan.  Sprinkle the topping over the batter.  Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. This is love at first sight. Where's the recipe?
    Where's the lil' pumpkin taste testing it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny . . . I uploaded the photo but forgot to write the post. I didn't realize it published :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks seriously delish! I looove coffee cake too.

    ReplyDelete