Saturday, July 3, 2010

Cilantro Lime Rice


I know making rice isn't rocket science. I've relied on boxes of rice pilaf (Near East is my favorite brand) for a long time but lately, I've been skipping the box and spice packet and spicing it up myself. I've also noticed that the step of toasting the rice a little before adding the liquid makes the end product a lot better.

Here's one of our current favorites, modeled after the rice they use at Chipotle. It goes well with Mexican flavored dishes or grilled fish. I like it in burritos or with tacos al carbon. Hope you like it as much as we do!

Cilantro Lime Rice (4 servings)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 onion (chopped)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 cup long grained rice (I like to use brown)
2 cups water
1 handful cilantro (chopped)
1 lime (juice and zest)

Directions:
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a minute. Add the rice and toast in the oil for a few minutes.

Add the water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered until tender, about 20 minutes for white rice or 40-50 minutes for brown. Remove from the heat and mix in the cilantro, lime juice and zest.

1 comment:

  1. Cilantro and lime are two of my favorite flavors. Can you believe I've never made rice without the assistance of my rice cooker?

    ReplyDelete