Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mango Sorbet



A few months ago, my daughter discovered her great love of mango smoothies from Jamba Juice. She was calling them "mingo" smoothies and it wasn't until one day at the zoo that I figured out she thought her smoothies were the same as those pink birds . . . flamingo / mango = same thing to her. Gross!

I cleared up the misconception and she wanted to see what one looked like at the grocery store. So, we bought a bunch of ripe mangoes and instead of making smoothies, made some ice cream. Well, technically sorbet because it was mostly fruit and sugar - no milk products or cream. The consistency was less like a traditional sorbet and more like a gelato because of the thickness of the mango puree. And, my confession is that my husband and I ate it all (half batch) while my daughter was asleep so she never even got to taste it.

Mango Sorbet (4-6 servings)

3/4 cup sugar
2 cups pureed, ripe mango
2 T fresh lime or lemon juice
pinch of salt

Make a simple syrup by dissolving the sugar in 1 1/2 cups of boiling water. Stir in the pureed mango (I used a mini chopper to puree but a food processor or blender would work fine). Add the last 2 ingredients and chill the mixture until it's nice and cold (I put it in the refrigerator for a few hours). You can make it up to this step and refrigerate for a couple of days if you want.

Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions - mine took about 25 minutes in the ice cream maker. After it came out of the ice cream maker, I put it in the freezer for a couple of hours before we ate it.

3 comments:

  1. Poor little girl. Tell her to come to my house and I won't eat all her dessert while she naps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoops - forgot to sign above comment, thats me, Grammy Heidi

    ReplyDelete