Monday, August 17, 2009

Los Mariscos del Dia



We're in Costa Rica on vacation and I've been doing a lot of cooking in our condo. So far, I've made these eggs, these enchiladas, and a variation of this pasta (only mozzarella cheese and no sausage). My biggest grocery story quandry was figuring out which bag of dairy-looking-white-stuff was sour cream for the enchiladas.

Yesterday I went down to the marina near us to a little gourmet import food shop to inquire about buying some fresh fish. After a bit of a go-around (there's nowhere good to buy it in town, we only have frozen fish so just thaw it out, what about eating chicken), the owner told me he had wahoo in the back that was caught the day before and he'd clean it for me. We had four filets of wahoo (also called ono, especially in Hawaii) and I used a really easy preparation that I've had a lot of success with in the past.

Here's what you do: Melt 1 T of butter per piece of fish (4 in my case), take it off the heat and add half as much lemon juice (I used 2 T of lime juice because I had no lemon). Then, dip the fish in it and sprinkle cajun seasoning (or roll it in the seasoning) to coat the filet. At this point, we grilled it and it was awesome. For salmon at home, I often put it in a hot pan on the stovetop until both sides are seared and blackened and then finish it in a 350 degree oven (until it's opaque and flakes with a fork in the middle).

I served it with coconut rice and a salad - delicious!

6 comments:

  1. "...cooking in the condo" has a funny ring to it, just as, "coconut rice", has an appetizing sound for me.
    Your fish look really good. I'm gonna give it my Fish of The Day award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled to see what you're eating while you're away! I'm just wondering if I'm really your mother - you went searching for fish to cook? Really?? I'm so proud of you for stretching so far beyond my dinner table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love fish and love learning new ways to cooking it. Sounds great. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dito Desiree. And I don't think Summer Camp Nurse counts as a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Bec!
    You won my giveaway of "Julie & Julia" by Julie Powell.
    Please e-mail me your contact information so that the publisher can send it to you directly.

    http://joyofdesserts.blogspot.com/2009/08/congratulation-to-5-winners-of-julie.html

    ReplyDelete