Thursday, May 21, 2009

Spicy Chocolatey Goodness

Last week, my friend Lisa made these brownies and brought me one - they were awesome. I've been looking for a homemade brownie recipe that uses powdered cocoa instead of chocolate and you already know that I love chocolate with cinnamon and a little spice. We both agreed that the cayenne could be increased a little but it'll depend on the spiciness you desire and the spiciness of your cayenne.

Lisa's comment about the recipe was that it's not a typical What's For Meat recipe because of the white flour and sugar . . . I'll write more about my love/hate relationship with white flour and sugar soon but you should try these amazing brownies!

Mayan Cocoa Brownies
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
2 tbsp water
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease(or butter or nonstick spray) a square pan (9x9 or 8x8). Combine sugar, butter, water in a large bowl. Stir in eggs and vanilla extract. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne in a medium bowl. Stir flour mixture into sugar mixture. Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes. If you insert a toothpick in the center it should be slightly sticky.

Happy Birthday, Lisa!

5 comments:

  1. The chocolate-cayenne mix is really amazing, isn't it? I've only had a few very expensive chocolate bars that mix it. This is the first time I've seen a brownie recipe with cayenne. Is this more of a grown up thing? Or does your daughter like them as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love Mexican chocolate, too. I can't wait to try these! Not too long...

    ReplyDelete
  3. M: Yes, that combination is a winner. I made some ice cream with the cayenne and my daughter gobbled it down - it probably depends on how subtle the spiciness is and what your kid's taste buds are like. If it's sugary, my daughter isn't very picky :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe is from Lisa de Monrovia??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these tonight. I have been meaning to for about a month! These are easily the best brownies I've ever baked. I agree about upping the cayenne. I couldn't even tell it was in there except for a tiny subtle after-taste. I doubled the cinnamon, but will double the cayenne next time, and maybe add a smidge of cloves and/or allspice.

    ReplyDelete