Sunday, March 26, 2023

Instant Pot Beef Bourgignon

The girls had a recent day off of school for teacher in-service and I loved finding them being creative instead of looking at screens.  


Now making slime is one of my least favorite "creative" activities (and it's banished to outside) but with one kid getting ready to drive and talking about college, I know our slime days are numbered.  And, it's something they like to do together (and did I mention outside?).  Big is painting a pair of shoes for Middle to wear when we go to Disney World since her own Rapunzel inspired ones are done.

I've been thinking about creativity and how that part of my job is what I miss the most so I'm trying to write a little more here on the blog and on another project so that I can use that part of my brain a little more.  

The creativity I struggle with is coming up with new ideas for dinner . . . I still dread the "what's for dinner" question that I get (most days before breakfast from Little or even the night before).  Part of it is that I feel like my one picky eater doesn't really like most of what the rest of us like to eat and another part of it is that I get in a rut of making the same 5-7 dishes over and over.  Send any new meal suggestions my way!

This winter we've really liked this Beef Bourguignon and other beef stew variations and the instant pot makes it so easy to have very tender braised beef.  I keep forgetting to save the recipe I like so here it is so I can always find it again!





A couple of recipe notes:  I like to buy my own roast and cut it into chunks - the chunks of stew meat that most places sell are tough and not delicious.  I leave my mushrooms large (sometimes halved cremini mushrooms) so that my girls can pick them out.  As always, it's not an "instant" recipe by any stretch but it tastes like you spent longer than an hour on it and a lot of the time is hands off.

Instant Pot Beef Bourgignon (serves 6)
from Creme de la Crumb

1 T vegetable or olive oil
6 pieces of thick cut bacon, roughly chopped
3 lbs beef roast cut into 2 inch chunks
1 cup red wine
2 cups beef broth
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 beef boullion cube, crushed
1/4 cup flour
1 white or yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced into 2 inch pieces
1 T minced garlic
2 T fresh thyme, chopped
1 lb baby potatoes
8 oz fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
salt and pepper to taste
fresh parsley to garnish & serve

Set the instant pot to sauté and add the oil and bacon.  Cook until crisp, stirring frequently with a slotted spoon.  Remove to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.

Add the beef and sear 3-4 minutes using tongs to rotate the pieces so all sides are browned.

Add red wine to the pot and scrape up any cooked beef or bacon bits.  Simmer and reduce for about 5 minutes.  Gradually add the beef broth, tomato sauce, and boullion.  Whisk in the flour, a little at a time.  Stir in bacon, carrots, onion, garlic, thyme, mushrooms, and potatoes.  Season with a little salt and pepper.  

Put the lid on and set the instant pot to pressure cook for 45 minutes.  After that, do a natural release for 10 minutes and then a manual release, switching the valve to vent.  When you can safely remove the lid, change the setting to saute and let the sauce thicken for 5-10 minutes.  Give it a good stir, taste it, and season with more salt and pepper if you want.  Serve with fresh chopped parsley.  My girls like a good crusty bread on the side as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment