Saturday, May 30, 2020

The Watermelon Drink


A friend recently asked me for the recipe of "the watermelon drink" and I was surprised it never made it to the blog.  I found it in the depths of my Pinterest and I don't think I ever made it last summer.  It's a good one - perfect for the start of summer!  I usually make a big jug of pitcher of it without alcohol and let the adults add a shot or two to their cups of ice before adding the watermelon mixer.  I prefer gin but vodka, white rum, or tequila will each work well and give a slightly different taste.  Cheers!

Watermelon Mint Cooler (makes about eight 8oz servings)
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

3 cups coarsely chopped seedless watermelon
1/4 - 3/4 cup sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
1/2 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
2 cups white grape juice
1-2 tsp finely shredded lime peel
3/4 cup fresh lime juice, chilled
32 ounces club soda, chilled
fresh mint sprigs or lime wedges (optional)

Place the watermelon in a blender and blend until smooth.  If you want, you could put it through a fine sieve and discard the pulp.

In a pitcher or mixing bowl, put the sugar and mint leaves.  Use a large wooden spoon or muddler to crush the mint by pressing it against the side of the pitcher or bowl.  Add the grape juice, lime peel, lime juice and watermelon puree and stir until the sugar dissolves.  Stir in the club soda.  Serve in glasses over ice.  Garnish with mint sprigs or lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment