Thursday, April 4, 2024

Back to the Crockpot


We have had a busy start to our spring with some new activities - Little got moved up to competition team in gymnastics and we watched her compete in Ontario & San Diego.


Middle played softball for the first time and while she may not continue, it was a good learning and good team experience.  I love that my kids go to a school where they can try new team sports even at 13 years old.


Big continues to sing - she's in the spring musical and an audition choir that meets at 7:15 every morning.  If you know much about her, you know this means she really loves to sing to sacrifice all that sleep.  Two of her school's choirs sang in Palo Alto at a choir festival and she sang with both groups.  They won first place!  I got to travel up there, visit my sister, and hear Big perform which was a lot of fun.

I have also had a long term substitute job for about 6 weeks so our afternoons & evenings are busy.  I was looking for something that I could put in the crockpot right when I get back from work at 3 and put on the table quickly after a softball game or musical rehearsal.  Everyone loved this - it has been a good answer to the "what's for dinner?" question.

Some recipe notes:  I usually boil the pasta noodles al dente around the time I start the crock pot and leave them in the refrigerator (or colander) until later.  You could boil them right before serving but my issue is having time at the end of the evening.  I made it once and didn't really season the chicken / sauce part in the crockpot and it was a little bland.  Don't skip that unless your sauces are super flavorful.  You can also top the whole thing with shredded mozzarella and let it melt before serving but our family has some dairy issues so I usually don't.



Crockpot Creamy Chicken Pasta (serves 4ish)

1 jar Alfredo sauce
1 jar marinara sauce
2 chicken breasts
1 pound pasta noodles (cooked)
shredded mozzarella (optional)
Seasoning suggestions: salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes
Parmesan cheese (to serve)
 
Dump the two jars of sauce into the crockpot, stir, and add the chicken breasts.  Season with the suggested seasonings.

Slow cook on high for 3 hours.  Take two forks and shred the chicken in the pot.  Add the cooked pasta noodles.  I usually start with about 3/4 pound and see how it looks - my kids like it more saucy.

You could top it with the shredded mozzarella and let it melt but I usually skip that part.

Serve with parmesan cheese & red pepper flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment