Thursday, March 26, 2015

Granola Bites




Little was the only one home with me this morning and she loved not having to fight over the stool or take turns pouring and mixing.  I wanted to make a recipe I have made in the past to help out with our after-school snack situation.  The girls come home hungry and either want granola bars, Clif bars, or something like that (which I'd rather save for their lunch bags) or they want a bowl of cereal or a bagel.  It's not awful, although my first choice would be that they have a glass of milk and a piece of fruit, but I wanted something that wouldn't fill them up too much before dinner (like a whole bagel) and something with some protein.  These are pretty sweet so I sold them as "cookies."

There are a few different versions of this recipe floating around online but I like the proportions in this one (link to original under the recipe below).  I've used almond butter or natural unsweetened peanut butter in the past but today all I had was Jiff - a bit sweeter so I reduced the honey slightly.  If you're gluten free, just make sure you're using gf oats.

The girls liked them as a snack today but they're not great to transport (in a baggie in a lunch bag, they turn into granola).  While Little loved helping me mix them, she took one bite and said "no wike it."  In general she's not a chocolate fan (!?!?!) but I think the texture of the coconut might be what she really didn't like.


Granola Bites (makes about 20)

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup coconut flakes (preferable unsweetened)
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix everything together in a medium bowl until fully incorporated.  Chill in the refrigerator for about a half hour.  Roll into balls and enjoy!  Store in an airtight container and refrigerate.  Will keep for about 1 week (if they last that long!).

No comments:

Post a Comment