Saturday, April 20, 2013

Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread

Before I get to today's recipe, an update on the baby.

Around Easter, she weighed as much as a 5 lb bag of flour 

Now, she's about this big (my hand for reference) and weighs close to 7 lbs

Her feet are still tiny but big proportionately to her body

She looks like a doll when Little plays with her.  I think Little thinks that the baby 
is her own personal doll . . . and she's nicknamed her "Bay-buh" 

And, she smiles!  The smiles are rare and much sought after by everyone in our family but totally worth the effort it takes to coax one out of her.  So far, Daddy gets the most smiles!

Last weekend we were invited to a friend's house for brunch and I brought some baked goods.  Since two of my friends don't eat gluten, I tried a new GF pumpkin bread.  Neither of them told me what they thought of it, but as a gluten-eater, I thought it was good - moist, flavorful, good texture - and my kids gave it two thumbs up.  I'll probably be making this again soon for my family and I might play with the ingredients some . . . it seems a little weird to have 2 cups of sugar and then all that lemon juice.  Maybe with a less tart liquid, you could decrease the sugar content?  Or does the acid in the lemon juice play some other part in the recipe?  I'll post an update if I have good luck with those adjustments.  One other plus about this recipe is that you use one bowl and just dump everything in the stand mixer - super easy and not many dishes to wash afterwards.  That means more time for smiles with the baby!



Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread
Recipe from One Good Thing by Jillee

2.5 cups brown rice flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
5 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, cornstarch, cinnamon, baking soda, and xanthan gum on low speed until combined.  Add the rest of the ingredients one at a time, on low speed, mixing well between each ingredient.  When everything has been added, increase speed to medium and beat for 2-3 minutes.  Pour into two greased 9x5 loaf pans.  Bake for 60-85 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.


4 comments:

  1. I though it was delicious! It was was a big hit with everyone- both gluten and non-gluten eaters. Thank you for posting the recipe! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good daddies deserve lots of smiles. What a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big has Julie and Little has Bay-buh, makes sense!
    Great pictures and bread, thanks for making it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's almost too cute. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete