Tuesday, October 30, 2012

White Chicken Chili



Lately, all I want is spicy food and I've become a little obsessed with this recipe.  When I made it last week, I ate all the leftovers within 2 or 3 days and last night I made another batch.  Now I'm at work looking at my yogurt, hummus, and veggies wishing I had brought the leftovers to eat for lunch.  You can make this a little thinner more like soup by adding broth or leave it thick like a true chili.  I like to eat it over tortilla chips (and pour Tapatio all over the top).  I haven't tried it in the crock pot yet but I think it would work well, especially if you only added the dairy at the end when you're ready to serve it.  My mom gave me the recipe awhile ago and I'm pretty sure it's from my Aunt Kathy - thank you!!

White Chicken Chili (makes 4-6 servings)

2 cups cooked chopped chicken
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
2 (15oz) cans Great Northern or Cannelini beans
1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
1 (4 oz) can chopped green chills
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup half & half or whole milk

Rinse and drain the beans.  In a large pot, saute onion in oil until soft. Add chicken, beans, broth, chiles, and seasonings.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.  Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and half & half.  Serve immediately.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a bit obsessed with this chili as well. Did I give the recipe to you? Because it's almost exactly like the one from my Taste of Home Cookbook, complete with the way I change it for our family's taste, but I don't remember ever telling you about it. Just wondering. Sorta spooky how close it is. It is really good. I've discovered that after I make it I think about it for the next week. My kids are kind of wimpy with heat, so I've started leaving out the green chilis and just spooning in salsa verde to taste in my own bowl. Works great, and an easy replacement. Oh--and the recipe works fine in a Crock Pot.
    Tortellini soup in our household tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's crazy . . . I know my mom emailed it to me (where I have my original) but I'll have to ask her where it came from - possibly you! My girls won't touch it (soup, green pieces, spicy . . . they had leftover pasta last night) but I still make it. Some versions I've seen have cheese it in but I like that this one doesn't. Tortellini soup sounds better than the stir fry I have planned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good Becca!!! Have to add it to my list :) Perfect for this time of year....
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete