Monday, September 7, 2009

Dole Whip



Have you ever experienced the magic of Dole Whip at Disneyland? Right outside of the Tiki Room in Adventureland is a little stand that sells this pineapple soft serve and it's SO GOOD. About six months ago, my sister sent me this link (make sure your volume is up!) and I have thought about it ever since. I ordered the mix from the website and it's been sitting on the pantry shelf in my basement and this past weekend, I pulled out the ice cream maker and whipped up 4 batches. Yes, 6 quarts of this pineapple goodness, all in honor of my daughter's Enchanted Tiki Room birthday party.

FYI - Mom and others . . . the manufacturer says it's "lactose free and low fat" so you can feel good about your indulgence!

It was a huge hit and there's not much to the recipe - add water to the Dole mix and freeze in your ice cream maker - so I'll share a poem instead.

Ode to a Dole Whip by Matthew Walker

oh, luscious frozen treat
how i crave
your pineappley goodness
that makes me rave

swirled high inside the bowl
like a yellow mountain high
I use my spoon to lap you up
before letting out a yummy sigh

the line to savor your tasty goodness
can sometimes block the way to adventureland
and while I may have wait in that 30-minute line
I truly can't wait to get you in my hand

others may prefer the more prevalent snacks
of cinnamon-sugary churros and salty popcorn
but given my druthers of what to eat
I want the one shaped like the matterhorn

(Photo and poem used by permission from Matt Walker)

3 comments:

  1. Sorry I had to work! Did everyone have fun?

    I remember when we went to the Dole pineapple plantation in Hawaii, we tried what must be that dole whip. It was soooo good. We also had pinapple chilli with sweet bread.mmm

    Any leftovers for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We missed you! It was a lot of fun. I have extra mix so you'll have to come over for Dole whip sometime! Pineapple chili - I'll look for that recipe . . . sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the party was a huge blast and success! How could it not be with this absolutely BEAUTIFUL Dole Whip?!!! Yum. thanks for sharing the source too...who knew it was so easy to put together. - mary

    ReplyDelete